Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 2 or 3? FINALLY in Asia!

So cultural differences are already pretty glaring -- the airports in both Tokyo and Hong Kong were silent. While waiting in line to go through immigration, the whole line was silent. Someone, Chad I think, pointed out the complete and utter silence; that wouldn't exist in the United States. Also, on the flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong, very few people reclined their chairs. Erica met some resistance when she wanted to recline hers (and ultimately couldn't). Fortunately, I was under the influence of my concussion drugs (naproxen and cyclobenzaprine) taken several hours earlier and I was able to sleep nearly the entire flight between Tokyo and Hong Kong.

In Hong Kong, I had a small luggage snafu. My suitcase had been sent ahead of me but they couldn't easily find it. I got it, thankfully, and we went through customs. No declarations custom was pretty awesome - we just walked through. Actually, security at the Narita airport was pretty cool too - you don't have to remove your shoes! This could be because we were doing an international connection, but still. I was glad to keep my shoes on.

Also -- why do the Chinese seem to run everywhere?

1 comment:

  1. Have you noticed how the Asians like to squat while waiting?

    ReplyDelete